Tuesday, July 10, 2012

WEEEOOOOO!!

TOMORROW!!  TOMORROW!! I LOVE YOU!! TOMORROW!  YOU'RE ONLY A DAY AWAY!

This is us.
We leave for San Diego tomorrow. This will be my first Comic-Con as a professional, and I'm blessed that my older brother, Dan, agreed to blow off work for 5 days and go with me to Nerd-vana.  Last Tuesday, we were on the phone at 2am plotting all the wonderful things that we were going to try to do, see, and experience while out there. If you have never been to a Con, you are missing out and should rectify that as soon as possible.  There's an energy that fills your body when you are surrounded by people who love the same things you do.  There's a thrill when you make it into a panel, beating out thousands of other people and grabbing a seat. A joy when you get to hear your favorite famous people speak about all the things they have done that made you love them. 

Have no fear.  We will be posting photos, blogs, and tweeting about our trip ad nauseum. 

My brother and I have always had an interesting dynamic.  Being the younger sister, the second born, I was a little bit more serious than he was growing up. There was a period of time when I idolized him.  Then I hated him and we fought every day. Then I realized that everything he loved was a major influence in my life. He listened to Scorpions.  I listened to Scorpions.  He read comic books.  I read comic books.  He played video games.  I played video games.  He introduced me to the Evil Dead movies. Some of the greatest memories I have of growing up included him.  He took me to Lollapalooza '96, my first un-chaperoned rock concert.  I was 15 and got hit in the face with a flying pizza plate as he and his friend moved closer to the speakers, leaving me by myself, but it was still exhilarating and gave me an appreciation for Metallica and Rage Against the Machine.

I moved away from Florida after college, but remember a Christmas when I found and sent him a Deadpool action figure.  When I got back into comics, I started collecting Deadpool because my brother loved him, which meant I would love him.  I wouldn't be who I am today without this weirdo. I'm so thankful he's going to go with me, though I really wish I could take the whole family as they are each nerds about so many different things.  May need to take one with me each year!

I guess I'm trying to say that I am excited to be heading West tomorrow for a whirlwind 5 days of panels, comics, parties, meeting new people, meeting famous people, photo opps, Walking Dead obstacle courses, and getting to hang out with the coolest brother a girl could ask for.  Is it 8:15am on Wednesday yet?!?!?!?

No comments:

Post a Comment