Friday, December 3, 2010

A week is a long time.


I have not blogged much this week, as I have been struck with a cold that made it's way into bronchitis land. This has meant a lot of sitting on my rump, not going to work and watching hours upon hours of daytime television and Hallmark films with my sickness partner in crime, Wendy Blake Pottinger, who started the vicious bug and was on the other couch with me pretty much the whole week. I have made some observations about myself and life in the last 5 days that I would like to share with you all.

  1. I am not a good patient. I am stubborn and a control freak. My mom came into my room, a jar of Vick's in hand and told me Vapo rub would help me breathe better. I refused like a 5 year old, until she actually put some on her hand and attacked me with it. We had a good 5 minute battle, with me flailing my limbs and yelling, "No, I don't want it, I'm a big girl." The end result was both of us winded from the fight and my chest covered in slimy, mentholated Vaseline. I took a shot of cough syrup and gagged at the flavor, almost throwing it up in the sink like a child being forced to eat Brussel Sprouts. I went to Urgent Care and got 5 different prescriptions, and have been taking them every day on the dot...as well as $45 worth of vitamins and supplements I purchased from CVS. Not to mention the detoxifying tea and orange juice that I have been chugging like a co-ed at her first kegger.
  2. My mom is amazing. Even with a horrible cold that caused fatigue after working for 45 minutes, she still managed our household like a fiend. Dinner was on the table at 6pm, the floors were cleaned, her bathroom immaculate, 3 loads of laundry were done...she is the hardest working person I have ever known, and actually makes me feel slightly guilty for the 3 loads of laundry I did over the course of the 5 days. I also annoy the crap out of her. When the woman who birthed you asks you when you are going to be back to work so you won't bother her anymore...you might have problems.
  3. I need to work. Sometimes I complain about my job, but who doesn't? But I never realized I would miss it. The last three days I have gotten up at 7:30, showered and gotten ready for a work day and was sent home to my disdain and dissatisfaction. I didn't even make it in yesterday. My boss texted me at 8:30 and told me to stay home. I actually resisted going home today, but when my GM looked at me and said, "You look like s*&t," it was time to go. The nap from 2-4 felt amazingly good. So, I tried to do work from home, laying in bed in my sock monkey pj's and slippers, making phone calls to try to book talent for an event we have next week...texting my co-worker regarding linens for said event...checking my work hotmail account to see if anyone needs anything. Sad. And even sicker than the bronchitis!
  4. It's weird texting with your boss. Both my GM and my HR director were texting me all week, and I found it odd. They started joking (via text)about interviewing my replacement on Wednesday, and I was replying with what I thought were witty jabs...but witty jabs on tons of meds fall a little flat. There was a bit of backpedaling to do, but I can just blame the drugs. Though they do know me and my tendency to try to be funny, so maybe that excuse will fail, too.
  5. I have really great friends. Everyone has popped on FB or text to see if I was ok. I like that.
None of this is too exciting or fun, but I haven't written for a bit and thought I would try it out on tons of meds. Let me know what you think.

1 comment: